lester y. leung
neurologist - writer - teacher - investigator
I am a Neurology chief resident, future Vascular Neurology fellow, and House Officer of a teaching hospital associated with Harvard Medical School. I am a clinician and primary Neurologist for my patients, a teacher and mentor for my students, and an investigator seeking to improve the medical care of patients with neurologic disease.
I am a writer. My current project, Your Health, is a collection of educational materials for my patients to help them understand neurologic conditions. My previous longterm project was Apollo Medicinae Doctor, a weblog with practical wisdom for residents and students.
Outside of medicine, I enjoy biking and hiking throughout New England and other areas around the world with my wife. I am also an avid homebrewer, favoring quality and the enjoyment of company over excess.
Education: Harvard University (A.B. Biological Sciences), Tulane Univ. School of Medicine (M.D.)
Prior Employment: NEJM (summer intern), Next Generation (founder, Editor-in-Chief), Harvard School of Public Health (research assistant), NIH (summer research fellow)
- Leung, LY et al. Microrheometric analysis of TGF-1beta and IL-1beta interactions in fibroblast collagen gels. FASEB, Jul 1, 2007; 21 (9).
- Looze, C, Yui, D, Leung LY, et al. Proteomic profiling of human plasma exosomes identifies PPAR-gamma. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, Jan 16, 2009; 278 (3).
- Leung, LY et al. Safety of Clopidogrel Loading in Acute Stroke and TIA. AAN 2010.
- Pletsch, G, Leung, LY et al. Selecting Discharge Antiplatelet Tx After Clopidogrel/Aspirin Loading. AAN 2010.
- Rogers, S, Leung, LY et al. Patients with AIS/TIA Receive Antiplatelet Tx Earlier w/Loading Dose. AAN 2011.
- Leung, LY et al. Short-term Bleeding Events Observed with Clopidogrel Loading in Acute Ischemic Stroke Patients. Accepted in Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases, February 2013.
- Bernson-Leung, ME and Leung, LY, et al. Synthetic Cannabis and Acute Ischemic Stroke. Accepted in Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases, July 2013.
Current Objectives and Implementations
[*] Teaching students better methods of differential diagnosis and approaches to treatment of neurologic diseases - serving as the Teaching Chief resident for HMS MS3 students, member of an Academy of Medical Educators
[*] Developing resident teaching tools to facilitate teaching on the neurology ward - creating the Neurology Resident Teaching Series, member of an Academy of Medical Educators
[*] Creating an introductory summer series of lectures for junior Neurology residents - established and executed the first "Neurology Boot Camp"
[*] Teaching neurology to Internal Medicine and Emergency Medicine physicians - participating in Medicine and Emergency Medicine M&M conferences as a discussant, creating and running a "Practical Examination" workshop for EM residents
[*] Improving the general public's understanding of the brain and neurologic disorders - creating the Your Health series, "Strike Out Stroke" event at Boston's Fenway Park
[*] Standardizing discharge practices to meet the ASA/AHA's "Get With The Guidelines" objectives - created/implemented a Core Measures checklist, created/developing a Discharge Timeout
[ ] Facilitating quality improvement and patient safety projects with the Neurology dept. in conjunction with other hospital services - serving as the Neurology dept.'s resident member of the House Staff Quality Improvement Committee
[ ] Stroke in young adults (ages 18-55): different treatment and diagnostic strategies, longterm medical management and rehabilitation
[ ] Optimizing antithrombotic therapy for different stroke types for acute stroke treatment and prevention
[ ] The detection, diagnosis, and management of posterior circulation strokes
[ ] The connection between migraines, ischemic strokes, and seizures
[ ] Quality impovement for health care delivery systems
[ ] Digital networks connecting physicians and patients
Lester Y. Leung, M.D.Boston, MA, United States E-mail: email@example.com
Please note that I do not provide medical advice over e-mail or other means of telecommunication for individuals who are not established patients in my practice. Any information provided on this site is for general educational purposes.