lester y. leung
neurologist - writer - teacher - investigator
I am a Neurology chief resident, future Vascular Neurology fellow, and House Officer of a teaching hospital associated with Harvard Medical School. I am a clinician and primary Neurologist for my patients, a teacher and mentor for my students, and an investigator seeking to improve the medical care of patients with neurologic disease.
I am a writer. My current project, Your Health, is a collection of educational materials for my patients to help them understand neurologic conditions. My previous longterm project was Apollo Medicinae Doctor, a weblog with practical wisdom for residents and students.
Outside of medicine, I enjoy biking and hiking throughout New England and other areas around the world with my wife. I am also an avid homebrewer, favoring quality and the enjoyment of company over excess.
Education: Harvard University (A.B. Biological Sciences), Tulane Univ. School of Medicine (M.D.)
Prior Employment: NEJM (summer intern), Next Generation (founder, Editor-in-Chief), Harvard School of Public Health (research assistant), NIH (summer research fellow)
- Leung LY et al. Microrheometric analysis of TGF-1beta and IL-1beta interactions in fibroblast collagen gels. FASEB, Jul 1, 2007; 21 (9).
- Looze C, Yui D, Leung LY, et al. Proteomic profiling of human plasma exosomes identifies PPAR-gamma. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, Jan 16, 2009; 278 (3).
- Leung LY et al. Safety of Clopidogrel Loading in Acute Stroke and TIA. AAN 2010.
- Pletsch G, Leung LY et al. Selecting Discharge Antiplatelet Tx After Clopidogrel/Aspirin Loading. AAN 2010.
- Rogers S, Leung LY et al. Patients with AIS/TIA Receive Antiplatelet Tx Earlier w/Loading Dose. AAN 2011.
- Leung LY et al. Short-term Bleeding Events Observed with Clopidogrel Loading in Acute Ischemic Stroke Patients. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2013 Oct;22(7):1184-9.
- Bernson-Leung ME and Leung LY, et al. Synthetic Cannabis and Acute Ischemic Stroke. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2013 Oct 8.
- Krishnan V, Leung LY, Caplan LR. A neurologist's approach to delirium: Diagnosis and management of toxic metabolic encephalopathies. Eur J Intern Med. 2013 Dec 9.
- Leung LY et al. Recurrent aseptic meningitis with reversible cerebral vasoconstriction. J Neurol Sci 2014 (epub, print date TBD).
- Develop resident teaching tools to facilitate teaching on the neurology ward - creating the Neurology Resident Teaching Series, member of an Academy of Medical Educators
- Creation of an introductory summer series of lectures for junior Neurology residents - the first "Neurology Boot Camp" at my residency program
- Teaching neurology to Emergency Medicine physicians - "Practical Examination" workshop for EM residents
Current Objectives and Implementations
[ ] Standardizing discharge practices to meet the ASA/AHA's "Get With The Guidelines" objectives - created/implemented a Core Measures checklist, created/developing a Discharge Timeout
[ ] Systematic education for Neurology residents on the standard of care for hospitalized patients with acute ischemic stroke and intracerebral hemorrhage
[ ] Facilitating quality improvement and patient safety projects with the Neurology dept. in conjunction with other hospital services - serving as the Neurology dept.'s resident member of the House Staff Quality Improvement Committee
[ ] Stroke in young adults (ages 18-45): developing new treatment strategies, long term medical management, prediction and reduction of stroke recurrence
[ ] Pediatric stroke survivorship (after 18): long term medical management, late complications, prediction and reduction of stroke recurrence
[ ] Acute stroke management: recruitment and maintenance of collateral perfusion, augmentation of cerebral resistance to ischemic injury
[ ] The connection between migraines, ischemic strokes, and seizures
[ ] The detection, diagnosis, and management of posterior circulation strokes
[ ] Novel methods of connecting patients, Stroke specialists, and primary care physicians
Lester Y. Leung, M.D.Boston, MA, United States E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that I do not provide medical advice over e-mail or other means of telecommunication for individuals who are not established patients in my practice. Any information provided on this site is for general educational purposes.